Saturday, April 26, 2014

Om Jai Jagdish Hare...

Most Indians would be very familiar with one of the most famous prayers and probably the most popular. That is Om Jai Jagdish Hare. I will attempt in the article below to connect the various spiritual thoughts with the literal meaning of the prayer.

Stanza 1. Om jaya Jagdiśa hare



Swāmi* jaya Jagadiśa hare
Bhakta janoṃ ke sankata
Dāsa janoṃ ke saṅkaṭa
Kśana meṃ dūra kare
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Literal meaning

Oh Lord of the whole Universe
Mighty Lord of the whole Universe
The agonies of devotees
The sorrows of devotees
In an instant, you make these go away
Oh Lord of the whole Universe

Spiritual Analysis

As indicated in several earlier articles, the only existence is of Reality, the Absolute Truth or Brahman. Once we gain knowledge of Brahman and become Brahman, there is no more sorrow.

Take the example of characters in my dream. Assume that in my dream there is a flood and the various characters including me are in sorrow or suffering. How can my sorrow as experienced by me in the dream go away in an instant? If I, the dream character somehow realize that what i am experiencing is a dream and I wake up, the sorrow is gone. Hence on realization that this world is a illusion, at that very instant, all sorrows are gone.

Stanza  2: Jo dhyāve phala pāve
Dukha bina se mana kā
Swami dukha bina se mana kā
Sukha sampati ghara āve
Sukha sampati ghara āve
Kaṣta miṭe tana kā
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Literal meaning

He who's immersed in devotion
With a mind without sadness
Lord, with a mind without sadness
Joy, prosperity enter the home
Joy, prosperity enter the home
A body free of problems
Oh Lord of the whole Universe

Spiritual Analysis

Assume in my dream, there is a character who totally believes in some super power, which in reality is nothing but me sleeping in my bed. This dream character knows or fully believes that the super power will take care of him. It is total faith or devotion in a power other than him, which means that the character is giving up his/her ego and surrendering to that super power.

In the same way, for those on the spiritual path, via the route of devotion, there is nothing that the Supreme cannot do. They think that whatever they do is because of Him. They have totally subdued their ego and act as an agent of the Supreme. This ability to cut out the ego ensures that  there is no attachment to the dualities of the magical world and peace and prosperity reigns.


Stanza 3: Mātā pitā tuma mere
Śarana karu maiṃ kiski
Swāmi śaraṇa karu maiṃ kiski
Tuma bina aura na dūjā
Tuma bina aura na dūjā
Āśā karuṇa maiṃ jiski
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Literal meaning

You are my Mother and Father
Whom should I take refuge with
Lord,whom should I take refuge with
Without you, there is no other
Without you, there is no other
For whom I would wish
Oh Lord of the whole Universe

Spiritual Analysis

It is obvious based on the analogy of the dream as to who the father and mother of characters in my dream are going to be. Since I am the dreamer, for every character in my dream, I am the father and mother.

For every wave in the ocean, water is the father and mother. For every jewel, gold is the father/mother. For each one of us, who is nothing but pure Brahman, our father and mother are nothing but Brahman.


Stanza 4: Tuma pūraṇa Paramātmā
Tuma Antarayāmi
Swāmi tuma Antarayāmi
Pāra Brahma Parameśwara
Pāra Brahma Parameśwara
Tuma saba ke swāmi
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Literal meaning

You are the ancient great soul,
You are the indweller
Lord, you are the indweller
Perfect, Absolute, Supreme God
Perfect, Absolute, Supreme God
You are the Lord of everything and everyone,
Oh Lord of the whole Universe

Spiritual Analysis

For a dream character who is the in-dweller? Who provides the foundation for the dream character's existence? It's me the dreamer in my bed who provides the base and am the in-dweller in each of my dream characters.

Assuming we see a rope in dark and think it is a snake, the in-dweller of the snake is the rope. In exactly the same way the Supreme Truth or Brahman provides the base. Owing to the power of illusion of Brahman, there is a seeming multitude. However for each of the multitude, the in dweller is Brahman. 

Stanza 5: :Tuma karuṇa ke sāgara
Tuma pālana kartā
Swāmi tuma pālana kartā
Mai mūrakh khalakhāmi
Mai sevaka tuma swāmi
Kripā karo Bhartā
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Literal meaning
You are an ocean of mercy
You are the protector
Lord, you are the protector
I am a simpleton with wrong wishes,
I am a servant and you are the Lord
Oh Lord,Grant me your divine grace
Oh Lord of the Universe

Spiritual Analysis

This is again from the perspective of practitioners of Bhakti yoga. They are giving up their ego and will do every action in the world as an agent of the Lord. Since every action in this world leads to an equal reaction, we continue in the cycle of birth and death. However if any action is done assuming agency of some Super power, there is no karmic influence of the action. 


Stanza 6:Tuma ho eka agochara
Saba ke prāṇapati
Swāmi saba ke prānapati
Kisa vidhi milūṃ dayāmaya
Kisa vidhi milūṃ dayāmaya
Tuma ko maiṃ kumati
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Literal meaning

You are the one unseen
Of all living beings
The Lord of all living beings
Grant me a glimpse
Grant me a glimpse
Guide me along the path to thee,
Oh Lord of the Universe

Spiritual Analysis

To the character in my dream, I am the Unseen and the Lord of all living beings in my dream. There is absolutely no way that any of my dream characters can see me who is sleeping in my bed. 

In exactly the same way, Brahman can never be seen by us. When we see Brahman, we have become Brahman. If I, in my dream have seen me in my bed, that means I have awakened and the dream I and the real I have merged.

Stanza 7,8.

Dīna bandhu dukha harata
Thākura tuma mere
Swāmi ṭhākura tuma mere
Apane hāth uṭhāo
Apani śaraṇa lagāo
Dwāra paṛā hūn tere
Om jaya Jagadiśa hare

Tan man dhan sab kuch hai tera
Swami sab kuch hai tera
Tera tujh ko arpan
Tera tujh ko arpan
Kya laage mera
Om Jai Jagadish Hare



Literal meaning

Friend of the helpless and feeble
Benevolent saviour of all
Lord, benevolent saviour of all
Lift up your hand
Offer me thy refuge
At thy feet
Oh Lord of the Universe
Removing earthly desires
Defeating sin,Supreme Soul,
Lord, defeating sin
With all my Faith and devotion
Oh Lord,With all my faith and devotion
In Eternal Service Unto Thee,
Oh Mighty Lord of the whole Universe

Spiritual Analysis




Why do we suffer? We suffer primarily because of desires. Why do we have desires? We have desires because we have forgotten that we are full by ourselves. We have wrongly identified with body/mind/intellect and feel a void which we try to fill through object of desires.  In trying to meet our desires we perform acts which give us karmic impact  and make us get equal punishment/rewards in a worldly sense. However even if a karmic act gives us worldly pleasure, in effect it is a sin because we have not yet realized we are Supreme and do not need this worldly happiness.

As readers may be aware, 3 of my books on spirituality are available on Amazon.com.

I invite readers of my blog to try any of the books and give me feedback so that I can make changes in the next edition.


1. My Humble Understanding  Of Spirituality


My Humble Understanding Of Spirituality




2. Attain Infinite Bliss

Attain Infinite Bliss - A Spiritual Guide


3. The Spirit Of Spirituality

The Spirit Of Spirituality






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments for me here.

The Holy Bhagwad Gita - My Journey

Introduction Today, on the auspicious occasion of Gita Jayanti, I am humbly penning down my journey with the Gita.  The celebration of holy ...