Sunday, April 5, 2020

Winning During The Corona Crisis

These days, anywhere we look and anyone we talk to, there are only dark discussions or forebodings about the Corona virus. Many of us are knowingly or unknowingly sinking into a depression from which we may find it very difficult to emerge even after this crisis ends. Hence it becomes most important to retain our sanity in these difficult times and emerge the same person as we were before all this at a minimum or better still, take the opportunity and become a better person. In this article, I would like to talk about my practices to remain positive. I would like to clearly state that this is not a panacea or a medical advise. Each reader has to make their own decisions on how to remain positive and this article at best can provide pointers.

I would like to discuss my practices across multiple planes of consciousness:

a. Body
b. Mind.
c. Intellect
 and finally how to actualize the positivity.


Body

I very sincerely follow every guideline released by the WHO or CDC in terms of self sanitization, social distancing etc. and I am sure most of you are following them too. I believe that prevention is better than cure and do whatever best I can to develop immunity. Whether we can develop immunity against Covid is a question mark. But, I am hoping that with my practices, I am developing immunity to other known infections like influenza. In addition, though totally stuck at home, I make sure I get light to moderate exercise. Some of you may be lucky enough to have a mini-gym in your house. We do not have one. But I ensure I keep walking around the house briskly, climbing stairs etc. and get at least an hour's worth of exercise daily. I also make sure that this one hour includes deep breathing exercises. I make sure I eat nutritious food rich in Vitamin C, Proteins etc. I make sure I eat enough fruits and vegetables. I do not eat junk food. I drink enough fluids and to the extent possible, I avoid cold water. I boil the water and drink it. I get a good sleep of at least 7 hours daily. With these practices, I believe my body is well exercised, nourished and rested to to be able to face the challenges of the virus attack.

Mind

Everyday in news and social media, it is almost always the same negative news of the Covid virus. If it is not about the virus, it is about negativity in politics. So, I try to avoid listening or watching such news. I do not have subscription to cable tv and hence am not subject to constant bombardment. I do browse websites of reputed publications to keep myself aware of what is happening so that I can protect myself and my loved ones. I have cut down on forwarding any negative news on social media and am focusing on sharing good news only. I read books on spirituality and listen to good lectures.

The mind is very fickle and needs to be controlled. Hence it is worthwhile to have routines/rituals/practices which force the mind to be positive. Over a period of time, with practice, these become routine. Some of my daily habits include the following:

a. Gratitude: Wake up first thing in the morning with an attitude of gratitude that my loved ones and I are safe; Tell a simple prayer to the Universe that there be peace and happiness everywhere. Only after this, I go about my morning routine.

b. Small acts of charity : Most of us are generous, but cant be doing charity daily. Luckily, I have found sites, where just for  a click, an advertiser will feed someone or provide shelter to animals etc. For the past 20 years, I have been doing this every single day. I am not telling this to crow about myself, but to state that an act of generosity makes the mind happy and positive.

c. Prayers : I make sure that I spend a minimum of 5-10 minutes in the morning to pray as per my customs and traditions. I am sure each person has grown up seeing how their families pray and follow traditions. I have found it giving me a calming effect.

d. End of the day reflection : Just before I sleep, I reflect on the day's events as a separate non-critical observer. I pray that the following day bring the best of news for the whole world.

Intellect

Whereas the mind is impacted by emotions and is fickle, the intellect is stable. Only thing is that we have to listen more often to our intellect and not to our emotions. For this, Vedanta has given us some fantastic tools,a few of which I am listing below:

a. Right action

In the current environment, nothing is gained by worrying. I, not being a health professional or researcher, can do nothing to cure people or find a cure. My worrying about it will not bring a cure. The only thing I can do is to continue doing whatever I am doing in the best possible way. If I can send in a charitable contribution, I will. If someone needs reassuring voice, I will provide it.

b. Let things happen

Vedanta has taught us not to worry about the future or the past, but focus on present. Bad times wont last forever. Mankind has lived through disasters and will rebound. So, let events happen. I will be cognizant of events, but wont obsess over them.


c. Karma : Whatever we face, good or bad at individual level or universal level, is due to our own deeds. So, today, if we face a bad situation, it is due to some action we collectively have taken as a society. It may be due to our gross negligence of the environment, our greed to own everything at expense of the non-privileged people, our cruelty with animals etc. Whatever the impact of these actions, the results had to happen. So, whatever situation is there, the only option is to whatever best I can and do whatever positive things I can, to do my bit for a positive future.


d. Prarabdha Karma

Related to the doctrine of karma is the concept of Prarabdha Karma. All our desires and actions over several births create an almost inexhaustible storehouse of desires. Based on the most pressing desires, we take a body to fulfill that set of desires. These are Prarabdha Karma. Once the desires related to this are exhausted, the body is of no further use and dies so that we take a new body to experience the other desires.

So long as this body has current desires to fulfill, nothing will kill it, even the worst virus. If at all it kills, it means that we will take a body to fulfill other desires and this body is no more useful. It is like throwing out a dress that has shrunk as we grow. We have to throw it out and take a new dress.

So whether the virus kills us or not, there is nothing to worry. This is how I cheer myself.


e. The supremacy of the soul

I tell myself that I am not the body, mind and intellect. I am the Supreme Brahman  or Consciousness and these events like the virus attack can only impact my body and mind. They will not impact my true self.

There are many more tools available in books like the Bhagwad Gita, the Upanishads etc. I am absolutely certain that other holy books of other faiths have equivalent tools to sharpen the intellect.

Actualize the positivity

All this talk of the body, mind and intellect are fine. But how do I actualize the positivity? For me, it is through meditation and visualization. On most days, I try to meditate at least for 30 minutes. Mine is a simple technique. Readers are free to follow or plan on their own technique. I do deep breathing for about 5 minutes and clearly experience the air filling my lungs and I imagine positivity is entering my system. I exhale and visualize all negativity leaving my system. Once this is done, I focus on the 5 basic elements of earth, water, fire, air and space. I visualize the evergreen and bountiful earth, the fresh  flowing rivers cleansing me inside out, the holy fire that our ancestors lit during rituals and yajnas, the air that gives me life and the vast space of which I am a part or is a part of me. I then focus on positive energy in each of my systems - my brain, my limbs, my circulatory system, respiratory system etc. I visualize them being strong to take on any challenges. Finally I visualize a positive world which is cured of the virus and is filled with prosperity and peace.

Conclusion

Using the above practices, I think I have been able to maintain a reasonably calm composure and I am confident that I can face any adversities strongly. Readers are free to comment and reach out to me if they need any specific guidance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Please buy and read any of these books:


My Humble Understanding Of Spirituality



Attain Infinite Bliss - A Spiritual Guide



The Spirit of Spirituality








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments for me here.

The Holy Bhagwad Gita - My Journey

Introduction Today, on the auspicious occasion of Gita Jayanti, I am humbly penning down my journey with the Gita.  The celebration of holy ...